• Mon. Jun 17th, 2024

EU chief says Israel was responsible for Hamas’ surge to power in Gaza

Byusanewscart.com

Jan 19, 2024

[ad_1]

Read this article for free!

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

The European Union’s foreign policy chief said on Friday Israel was responsible for Hamas’ surge to power in Gaza, where it is currently fighting a war against the terror group.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said very plainly during a speech at the University of Valladolid in Spain that Israel financed Hamas in an effort to weaken the then-governing Palestinian Authority.

“Yes, Hamas was financed by the government of Israel in an attempt to weaken the Palestinian Authority led by Fatah,” Borrell said without elaborating, Reuters reported.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has previously denied such allegations. He has also decried other remarks from the EU and the United Nations as sympathetic to Hamas.

NETANYAHU REJECTS PALESTINIAN STATE IN POSTWAR SCENARIO, PROMPTING CRITICISM FROM THE US

Josep Borrell

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell accused Israel of financing Hamas in Gaza, contradicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. (Jean Catuffe/Getty Images)

Netanyahu’s critics have accused him of financing Hamas for years, which includes allowing foreign money into Gaza, most of which going to the governing terror group.

In his remarks on Friday, Borrell spoke to postwar scenarios, saying the only peaceful solution included the creation of a Palestinian state.

ISRAELI OPPOSITION FILES NO-CONFIDENCE MOTION TO OUST NETANYAHU’S GOV’T: ‘A FAILURE THAT COSTS HUMAN LIVES’

“We only believe a two-state solution imposed from the outside would bring peace even though Israel insists on the negative,” he said.

Blinken, Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s critics have accused him of financing Hamas for years, which includes their initial rise to govern the territory in 2007. (Kobi Gideon (GPO) / Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Hamas has ruled the Gaza Strip since 2007 after it defeated the Fatah led by President Mahmoud Abbas in a civil war.

Hamas-led forces launched a surprise attack on southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking more than 200 hostages.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 

Explosion, plume of smoke

Hamas-led forces launched the deadliest attack in Israel’s history when they invaded southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. They took more than 200 hostages back into Gaza. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)

Immediately after the attack, the Israeli government declared war on Hamas and later launched a ground offensive into Northern Gaza.

Reuters contributed to this report.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *